Saturday, June 12, 2010

My First Half Marathon

When I was a teenager, my dad and I shared a love for running. It was so fun that we had that in common. We started training to run in a marathon at one point, but it wasn't meant to be. I was badly injured in a hiking accident that had me on crutches for several weeks and my dad had what would become the first of many "scary"skin cancer spots removed from the side of his face. We both recovered, but for whatever reason were unable to ever motivate ourselves to resume training for a different marathon...now one of the biggest regrets of my life. Fast forward to present day and my dad is now battling two types of cancer and chronic back pain which prevent him from doing his most favorite things. My whole life my dad has sacrificed for our family...sacrificed beyond what I can even comprehend. He went to great lengths to make sure that we always had enough...more than enough, and that we could always stay together as a family. He truly is my hero. I've been so caught up in my own woes lately that I have forgotten to just live my life and be happy. Life is so short, SO SHORT!
About a month and a half ago, I decided to stop worrying so much about what I don't have and start making the most out of what I do have...my health! I don't know what it is, but I have decided I need to do things I've always wanted to. Two friends of mine at work were signed up for the Utah Valley Half Marathon and I thought it would be a great way to start getting in shape for a full marathon. In the last month and a half I have accomplished things I never thought I could and pushed my limits further than I thought I ever would. Today, I ran my first half marathon faster than I had planned. I couldn't help but think of my dad and wish he were there with me. THIS ONE'S FOR YOU DAD!!! Maybe I can convince him to be there at the finish for my first marathon. :)Me, Jessica and Kristen at Brick Oven the night before the race "carb loading" Don't know if that was the greatest idea, but it sure was yummy!


Our morning started at 3:00 am. I woke up and contemplated staying in my warm bed, as I could hear the rain pounding on the roof. We met up at Provo Towne Center mall at 4:00 am where the buses took us up to the starting line, just above Vivian Park in Provo canyon. It was dark, cold and drizzly but our nerves and adrenaline kept us going until the race started at 5:45 am.
What a beautiful and amazing run! The canyon was extra green and lush due to all the rain we have had lately. It seemed like all the smells and scenery were exponentially increased, but maybe it was just my high from running my first 1/2 marathon. I couldn't help but smile most the way due in part to the fabulous music mix I put together, the wonderful people both running and volunteering, and the great pace I had set for myself. I shed my jacket at about mile 2 and the cool weather couldn't have been more perfect for running 13.1 miles. When I made it out of the canyon (about half way through the course) I even started to get a little emotional at all the people there cheering us on. Perfect strangers (who were there for their friends and family) made a point of cheering and clapping for the rest of us too. I was more overwhelmed then I thought I would be at just how fast the whole thing seemed to be going. At mile 12 I had where we would be finishing in sight and I almost felt sad...almost. What a thrill. I rounded the corner nearing the end and for just that one moment, everyone was cheering for me, all was right with the world and my life was perfect. Then I crossed the finish line. I did it! I was hoping to finish in 2 hours and 10 minutes, but crossed at almost exactly 2 hours flat. Jessica, who is 11 weeks pregnant, finished just behind me at 2 hours 9 minutes and Kristen, who has stress fractures caused by all the training, finished not too far off at 2 hours 41 minutes. Way to go girls!!!

Jessica at the finish line


Me and Jess sporting our medals.


My number and medal

4 comments:

Ginn Family said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you did it, you are AMAZING!!!!

TomLiz said...

You are awesome !!!! Love you Mom and Dad ( thanks for making us cry).

Amanda&Wade said...

You truly are so amazing and SO INSPIRING!! Reading this made me want to do it!! (Then I remembered, I suck at running!) Anyway, GOOD JOB, I NEVER could do it. Oh yeah, I cried too :)

The Nelson's said...

Way to go Rachel! My neighbor is a big runner and after finding out my husband had started running and was up to about 10 miles, talked him into doing the Salt Lake Marathon. That was three years ago and since has started to run Ultras. He loves running the trails and has done a few 50 milers and is going to try and do the Wasatch 100 this fall. CRAZY! So you never know what a little motivation can do. I look forward to seeing how you do on your first marathon. Your time on the 1/2 is awesome.
I didn't know your dad was going through that, so sorry. I wish him the best. I love your parents and family for that matter. It was a fun surprise to see Amanda at the swimming pool for our kids swim lessons. It's been fun talking with her.